Instructions for applying your Unreal Customisable Tanning Mist
Exfoliate (24 hours before)
Make sure you exfoliate at least 24 hours before putting on the fake tan. If there is any excess dead skin then the tanner will fade much more quickly, particularly in areas where there is a lot of hard skin (Think elbows, knees and ankles).
Pro tip: When exfoliating, make sure to concentrate on very dry areas such as your feet, elbows, ankles and knees.
Remove hair (24 hrs before)
If you do choose to remove your body hair, make sure this is done at least 24 hours before you tan.
If you do it any later, then the fake tan can sink into the pores where the hair follicles once were, which can leave dark spots.
Don’t use deodorants or perfumes
Don’t use deodorants or perfumes on the day you put on your fake tan. These can create a barrier on the skin’s surface. This means the tan doesn’t absorb as well and you may not get the colour you want.
Make sure you thoroughly moisturise the night before, in fact it's a good idea to ensure you always use a moisturiser daily before putting on the fake tan to ensure that your skin isn’t too dehydrated after application.
Applying the tan
There are a few key steps to follow when putting on your fake tan. We'll take you through these steps below, with a few extra pro tips:
- Put on your tanning mitt and squirt some of the solution onto the mitt.
- Scrunch your hand up into a fist so that the tanning solution spreads out on the mitt. This will allow for a more evenly distributed tan.
- Apply the solution by pressing the mitt gently to your skin and make a circular motion whilst moving the mitt across your limb or body. Make sure to apply the solution to your whole body and don’t forget parts like the inside of your arms or legs.
- Naturally there may be some light streaks. If you want to get rid of these then you can buff them out using a Kubuki brush.
- Allow your tan to fully dry before dressing in order to avoid smudging. If possible, opt for post-tan clothing that is dark and loose. This means that any smudging that does occur, won’t be so noticeable on your clothes.
- Many people forget to do this, but it’s very important to wash your mitt with soapy water and leave to dry after every application. If you don’t wash it, then your mitt will have a buildup of old tanning solution which can mean your next tan isn’t so even!
Once you've done this, wait 4-8 hours before following the next step.
Washing off your tan
When washing it off, use cool water. This is because hot water dehydrates the skin which can cause the tan to go patchy. It can sometimes result in very mild skin irritation too.
Don’t scrub or use soap as this can fade your tan. Just use cool water and keep washing until the water becomes clear.
Maintaining your tan
It’s recommended that you gently exfoliate every 2 to 3 days. This will allow any dead skin cells to be exfoliated and it will stop the tan going patchy as it fades.
Moisturise very regularly to keep your skin hydrated. When taking showers, make sure to always use a cooler temperature.
Remove the tanner completely before reapplying
Before you reapply the tanner to your skin, make sure that you have completely removed the fake tan from your previous application.
You can do this by getting a tan eraser mousse or a tan removing mitt. But you can also use products from your own home by following any of the tips written in this article.